Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ups and dows

Who would have thought that being a graduate student would be such a great job. Yes the hours are long and there are few quick rewards, more about that later, but I hurry to work with a smile on my face every day. Life in Grad school is all about the knowledge and the learning. My progress isn’t based on how many numbers I turn out daily rather it’s based on how well I understand the results that I get. People treat you like you should understand what you are doing and so you do.
Well one of my projects isn’t going as well as we originally thought. We thought it was going to be much easier to move it forward it turns out that we have come up against some physical barriers. The laws of physics and chemistry say “nope, sorry it can’t be done that way” and so we’re evaluating some other methods. That is not what I wanted to learn, but it does open a new path to explore so it wasn’t a waste of time. The light from the device dies in the presence of water and as I know I have mentioned it is humid in Lincoln. We thought we had a way around that but it turns out that it just created a much worse set of problems. Oh well we will proceeded with a different mindset.
Sadly because of my class load, I am not able to put as much time into research each week as I could earlier on. Oh well I have to pay my dues then I can move on to more and better things.

Love to all!


by the way I will try and be better about posting. but between homework, research and church 15 minutes to post seems to be a lot to hope for.

1 comment:

Miles said...

I thought the laws of Chemistry and Physics were more guidelines than barriers....

Miles