Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Technician vs. Scientist

Well I am beginning to get a handle on the difference between my old life and my new one.

Today I ran into some problems with the AFM. Nothing really big but my adviser was there and so I simply asked him for the solution. Not so fast. He is a big advocate of the Socratic method of teaching. He turned the question back on me and complicated it even more. Not only did he want me to answer my own question but also to justify all of the other settings on the instrument.

Through careful questioning and helpful pointers he managed to get me to give him the right answers.

It's a tough way to learn but the goal in grad school is to make me an independent thinker. Even as a good technician I didn't have to consider all of the settings nor justify every little step in a process.

The difficult part is learning how to do research in the correct manner that would lead to progress and new discoveries.

Tough but worth it.

love to all

No comments: