Monday, August 11, 2008

Great Weekend

Well sorry it's been a couple of days since the last post. Friday I found out that I did well enough on my placement exams that I am in the courses that I need to be in.

My advisor is awesome! He has given me a lot to think about and set me to the task of taking a concept that he was toying with and working out a proof of concept for it. It relates what we already do in the lab to some practical applications. I should be able to do it in the 6 weeks that I have left in the rotation with him.

Much of what I have been doing for the past couple of days is to spend time reading other related work and determining what we need to run the necessary tests.

One of the materials I will be using is a Gallium Indium alloy. Its fun stuff. It is a lot like Mercury, a metal that is a liquid at room temperature. Great Stuff.

Materials chemistry is great stuff. It is going to allow me to learn many varied aspects of chemistry and still stay inside my field of concentration.

The other day we were able to see some of the "nanowires" we built. They looked like the Washington monument.

Fun Stuff!

No comments: