Monday, October 20, 2008

I was so happy when they were here but now I'm sad :(

See the time factor again. Even my little post earlier today was interrupted. Here goes another try.
Ok so Mom, Michelle and the kids came to Lincoln over the weekend! YAY! But then they left yesterday. Whimper. I wish they could just stay here now. I need lots of time in the office to get through chemistry, but I know I could make enough time for them if they lived here.
The weather was nice, but by the time we got to the various touristy places they were closed. We did buy just over 100 books at the City literary programs used book sale. We saw several different neighborhoods and played at a park. The best part was just spending time together. I miss them and want to be there with them. On the plus side I now am re-energized and can make it through the next month or so of classes before Thanksgiving. The kids saw lots of squirrels and even a black one or two. They are a color mutation that is starting to appear around here more and more frequently. Vivi and Reed both got to ride cricket (one of the horses I clean up after in the mornings) and loved it. I hope that once they move out here we will be able to afford to have a horse for them.
Classes seem to be going well; there is so much to learn. I just wish I had time to really learn everything. Oh well I am learning so much everyday. While I am continuing a lot of the original research I was doing I am starting to spread out a bit. Without boring you all to death I am branching out into energy chemistry. I see it as a way to help the world. I am going to be working on ways to use nanotechnology to help conserve and generate useable energy. It is a very competitive field, but there are a lot of rewards to be had. I hope to have a publication or two accepted by the end of the year.
In 4 years I hope I can complete the things which my Adviser has told me that I need to do to graduate. More realistic would be 4 to 5 years with a bit of serendipity on my side. I have had a nice taste of serendipity all ready and am attempting to be prepared each time it rears it’s little head. I have outlined a rough plan for my coursework and research and am going to have it all nicely in place by the end of the month. I have at least 3 more presentations to do by the end of November and each one wears me out. There is so much effort to put into each of them. In addition I have another test on Thursday and who knows what else is coming up. One thing I am not in grad school is bored. No matter what time it is there is always something to do. I am learning to prioritize my schedule and even though it’s hard I am learning to put coursework and presentations ahead of my research.
Love to all

No comments: